Donald Trump’s presidency has been marked by an array of high-profile controversies.
And while the president’s press office has not denied any of the allegations against him, they have argued that the claims are false and misleading.
Trump’s team has also pushed back against media criticism of his tweets.
But on Thursday, the president himself may seek to use his authority as commander-in-chief to block news coverage of a new fake news story, as well as allegations of a Russian plot to influence the election, according to a White House document obtained by Bloomberg News.
Trump and his team have been grappling with accusations that they colluded with Russia to influence last year’s election, including a charge that they tried to sway the outcome.
The allegations were one of the first major issues to emerge from the investigations into Trump’s campaign and possible collusion with Russia, which began after the inauguration.
Trump has denied the allegations.
A spokesman for the president declined to comment.
The White House documents, which were sent to the Senate Intelligence Committee, said that Trump’s lawyers could issue a directive to the Justice Department to block coverage of the article, which was first reported by the Wall Street Journal and BuzzFeed.
The Trump administration has argued that a blocking order would amount to an order from the president, not the Justice Departments office of legal counsel, which oversees the White House.
The document says the president could block news stories “to protect the national security of the United States.”
Trump, the White Houses lawyers argue, could also direct the department to investigate media outlets that reported on the article and to investigate alleged Russian attempts to influence U.N. election votes.
A statement from the White houses attorneys argued that they could not block the article because it was published by the Washington Post, the New York Times and BuzzFeed, and that it “did not meet the standards for a news article under the Freedom of Information Act.”
The statement also argued that “any media outlet that is not affiliated with the Department of Justice, or a political party that has an interest in promoting falsehoods and disinformation, could be considered as an ‘unrelated party’ and would not be permitted to publish the article.”
The White Houses legal team said the White house would respond to the WhiteHouse.gov site within 30 days to receive the request.
A White House official said that the president has no interest in interfering with the news media and that the Whitehouse.gov website is “fully functional.”
It is unclear whether the Trump administration would seek to block any of Trump’s own media outlets.
The president has also issued an executive order directing the departments of state, justice and homeland security to conduct a review of media reports on the investigation into his campaign.
Trump, who has called the investigation a “witch hunt,” has been under fire since the White HOUSE released a list of reporters it said were working for or on behalf of his campaign during the 2016 election.
The list included Fox News reporter James Rosen, CNN reporter Jim Acosta and NBC News’ Jim Sciutto.
Trump also has threatened to fire the network’s New York bureau chief, Serge Kovaleski, who broke the story on the president during a news conference earlier this week.
The news of the blocking order on Thursday comes as the Justice and Homeland Security Departments are preparing to release their own investigation into possible Russian interference in the election.
In a statement, the Department’s Office of Inspector General said that its investigators “are continuing to gather information and conduct interviews.”
The order to block media coverage was not included in the Justice department’s request to the House Intelligence Committee to release a copy of its investigation into Russian interference last month, the Times reported.
The House Intelligence committee, which is conducting its own investigation, has not released a copy.
A spokeswoman for the committee, Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., said the committee has not yet received a copy, nor did it respond to requests for comment.
On Thursday, Schiff said he would be looking into whether the White and Justice Deps are complying with the Freedom Of Information Act.
The Justice Department has said it will not disclose information it says was obtained illegally.
The order said that in response to a request from the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, the department would provide documents it received from the committee and other agencies.
The report by the inspector general, which Trump signed, said the department has also received more than 30,000 pages of documents related to its investigation.